INFO-Tain-ment

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sexism or Stupidityism?

When Belinda Stronach (C - Media Darling, L - Entitled Media Darling) crossed the floor of the House of Commons on the day of my 31st birthday, the resulting comments from the Conservative Party establishment was disturbing.

There is no doubt that some of the remarks made by people who are now sitting in Cabinet were deplorable. They were also comments that would not have been made about a man. A whore is worse than a traitor. For the record, I called Emerson (C - Softwood) a whore when he crossed the floor. Fair is Fair.

Last week, Elmer's Boy (C - PotatoE Farm) did something that is being called sexist. He responded to an equally stupid remark from the opposition (with whom I am equally disgusted with, FYI) about caring for his dog. Let's remember- it was McGuinty (L - Look Ma, I'm not as important as my older brother) who brought up the reference in the first place. Granted, he was actually talking about a dog, but what possible value did that add to the debate? So Peter responded. It wasn't sexist, it was STUPID, and maybe everyone in the house should just grow up. I have seen better decorum at the Kingston Penitentiary Model Parliament.

There is a fine line. Sexism is when you say something that is denigrating to the opposite sex. I am not convinced that the comment made about Belinda does that. I think that calling her a whore does. I do not believe that it was intentionally sexist, I think it was something that wasn't filtered properly. But is anyone surprised?

I have opined previously that Ms. Stronach is in an unfortunate position, and that no person deserves the attention that she has received, both positive and negative, for the things she has/not done. Our society may be sexist because the idea of an elegant and glamorous blonde in public life is so novel that it itself receives media attention. Of course, I know different because the PS to International Trade (C - Toyota) is significantly better looking and is dating the Conservative Caucus Chair (C - Look Ma, I'm important). In this case, its because Belinda is beautiful, carries political intrigue in her love life AND is phenomenally rich.

Ultimately, I would agree that we are talking about a bunch of stupid men. I would agree that they are, for the most part, not as opened-minded as other political demographics. I would even agree that they should apologize for their stupidity. Right after former Prime Minister John Turner apologizes to Iona Campagnolo. There is no room for debate about what he did 22 years ago.

I agree that this is the sort of thing that can contribute to keeping women out of politics. Not because it is sexist, but because it is stupid. Women don't seem to want to participate in the chest beating as much as men do. My unscientific survey of all the women I work with unearthed a shocking statistic - 100% of them agree that politicians do stupid things and they couldn't be bothered. The only thing they think is dumber is making a bigger deal out of it like the opposition seems to be. The Government released a comprehensive plan to save the planet last week, and the opposition are still talking about "personality." I am sure the press release is forthcoming about how the Green Plan 2 is sexist.

Does this mean that when NDP members say that Stephen Harper is George Bush's boy, are they making a racist remark? I suppose we should just call a spade a spade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home