INFO-Tain-ment

Friday, April 10, 2009

Little Bow Wow

Ok- now I am just upset.

When meeting the leader of Saudi Arabia, Obama bowed. It was a sign of respect, it was a deep bow. Big deal. He bowed, but not as much, to Queen E.

A few weeks ago, I saw PM Harper bow in front of a few Korean Business people.

Conservative pundits in America don't think bowing is appropriate. They are ripping Obama a new one for showing deference and cultural sensitivity.

Not to focus on the Bush family history of ostensibly blowing the House of Saud, I don't see bowing as such a big deal. Lots of cultures bow to each other out of respect. Hell, even I have bowed to people.

I like the idea of a US president who shows respect. I like the idea of a US President who understands that not everyone has the same culture that the Americans don't even have as a monolith.

Besides, what is more important - bowing, and then telling them what's what, or looking like an unbending asshole because it plays well at home to a demographic who is not going to vote for you anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home