INFO-Tain-ment

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Thank God for Activist Courts

ACTIVISM RULES I guess the PM is right - the courts are out to get him. Saving people's lives and such.

I am elated to learn that the federal court whacked Steve-o and his government on this issue. It is actually one of the key reasons why I vote the way I do. The Death Penalty is always wrong.

I have talked about this before, but the sheer fact that the penitent has asked for death is a reason that he cannot be competent to stand on his own - and needs his government's help. To wish for the punishment of death, says I, is to be insane in such a way that one cannot appreciate the consequences of one's actions.

There are few issues I care more about than preserving the status quo in Canada as it relates to the death penalty. It constantly shocks me that there is anyone who still thinks it is a good idea in any circumstance.

Of course, I don't think the court went far enough, and I think it is open to all kinds of abuse at the appellate level. Without delving too deeply into it, the fact that the cruel and unusual punishment provisions were not raised in the decision are...problematic.

The decision rests entirely on the arbitrariness of the government's actions - so, if it was to reverse the policy in a reasoned, clear and thought provoking way, it would somehow be ok. I don't agree.

Also, I am not thrilled that the government has to "actively" help to obtain clemency. By doing what? Write a letter? Send a diplomatic note? Message in a bottle?

A little more direction would be...appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home