INFO-Tain-ment

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Musings about the Election

Ok- I have had a day to recover.

There are good and bad things to talk about. Bad things first.

I think there is a straight line correlation to be made between the Liberal loses and voter turnout. I was half kidding about traffic this morning, but when you dig a little deeper this was the election that had the poorest voter turnout in modern history. The previous election was not much better - prior to that, also below the average since the war.

Each time the Liberals lost more seats.

I look at voter turnout through a different prism than most. I see "apathy" as contentment with the status quo. People vote for change, and stay at home for more of the same. I honestly believe that efficacy and trust are highest in societies that have depressed voter turnout.

Is there a magic bullet? Well, first of all, our "voter participation" rate is artificially inflated, particularly amongst young people. Many people under 30 appear on the register of electors four or five times. That is because they move a lot. The list is dreadfully out of date. Overhaul is required.

I don't think that the electoral system is in need of radical change - except I would like to see our PM elected separate and apart from our MP. That way, people who don't think their MP of choice will win, get to vote for both an MP and their first choice for Prime Minister. I think May would have gotten a lot more votes under that system - and I honestly believe she deserved more. I also think Jack would have gotten more votes. In fact, I think EVERYONE would have gotten more votes, except Gilles Duceppe - who could still have his rump from Quebec in the legislature.

Now the good news -

I think that the NDP success is going to fundamentally change the NDP. I can assure you that their new MPs from Northern Ontario are going to change the tone at caucus. Certainly not the defenders of left issues, we may see them stick to the "kitchen table" campaign referred to in the campaign. Jobs first. Remembering that the traditional NDP was not socially liberal, but developed from Christian values of community under Douglas. The NDP member from St. John will also change the tone of the conversation for sure. He knows what is bubbling off the coast- and let me assure you, it causes climate change.

I think that this Ministry is going to be significantly different. There are going to be at least three -if not as many as six- more women. I suspect there is going to be an official C.O.O. as opposed to a defacto one. There is (at least potentially) more "experience" at this Cabinet table than ever before. Let's hope the PM uses it.

Loathe as I am to admit it, the new blood from Ontario will improve the Conservative Caucus and presumably, government policy towards manufacturing. Yes, I would have preferred to see Karen Redman re-elected. same story with Sue Barnes. Garth Turner, you can keep.

From now on, Wednesday mornings will have a decidedly different tone for the Tories. For reference purposes, there are now more MPs from Ontario than the three prairie provinces combined. Ontario and Quebec outweigh the entire Western Caucus. The last time that happened, the right split in half, remember?

Last but not least, I am thrilled that Nunavut elected a Conservative. Nothing against the Liberal- I don't know him - but there has been an un-intelligible stigma about Aboriginal voters and their unwillingness to vote Tory for some time. To be fair, the PM has spent more time up North than Santa Claus in the past two years, so maybe that had something to do with it. Yes, I would have preferred to have a liberal elected, but I think this is important for ending what has been perceived as "ghetto" politics for some time. Lord knows this is an issue that needs desperate attention. I bet she will make Steve hear it.

Finally - and this really isn't about the results of the election, but the return of Parliament - there were about 200 HORRIBLE private members bills that are now off the agenda. This Parliament makes it unlikely stupid bills like Pablo's Kyoto bill get passed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home