INFO-Tain-ment

Monday, September 22, 2008

Yanks for the Memories

I certainly shed a tear. Thank god they won.

I was there this summer for two games. In my first on I caught a foul ball that was about five feet from being a home-run. In my second game, I sat in the bleachers and participated in Roll Call. Bliss.

Starting for the New York Yankees - future hall of famer (steroids notwithstanding - he took it like a man) Andy Pettitte. Starting for the Baltimore Orioles - Chris Waters. Who the fuck is Chris Waters? The first pitch was over the plate and wasn't called a strike. As if calling a strike would have halted production of some assembly line - even in Quebec, that would have been a strike, dude. At least he was consistent.

So, by the end of the second inning Any Pettitte earned his 2,000 strikeout. Nothing is lost on history.

The first home run was hit by a slow, pudgy fat guy named Babe Ruth. The last home run? Hit by a slow pudgy fat guy named Jose Molina.

And then there was Mo. Earlier in the day, Reggie Jackson noted that Mo was one of the five most important Yankees of all time. High praise: Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, Berra, Ford, Jeter - uh, I don't know who to drop, but I guess it is the last three. Mo was throwing hard - I don't think he will be back.

With one out to play, Derek Jeter took himself out of the game. I don't know why, but I am sure it was his decision out of respect for something greater.

Something that will never be replicated anywhere else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home