INFO-Tain-ment

Friday, September 08, 2006

Ok, so I was wrong - Go Heat Go!

Two years ago, I gave up watching football. I was never really in love with the game, and there is just too much information to store in my little head. Football is very much like chess with really big pawns, and requires more strategy than any other game besides basketball, so you would think that I would like it, but the off-field antics of their "stars" just started getting to me. I am not saying that the other three sports are much better, but the level of idiocy demonstrated by the so called stars of the continent's most profitable sport just infuriates me. Terrell Owens must think he is Jesse Owens, and that is just not cool.


So, I decided to phase football out so I could concentrate on the other three professional sports with the promise that I would phase out basketball within two years. Never would I abandon Baseball, and Hockey is more important than religion in Canada. One sport for summer, one for winter- it works better this way.

Two years have passed, and it would appear that I have at least one more year of watching basketball until I give it up forever.

For the record, I have to admit an error I made. After the Miami Heat won the title in June, I prognosticated that their team wouldn't win again, but that was ok because after 15 years of wanting them to win, I could retire from watching basketball with pride. The key reason for my prediction was that two aging veterans (Gary Payton and Alonzo Mourning) would not return now that they both had the title they had been long yearning for. Yesterday, Gary Payton inked a one year deal and earlier in August, Zo did the same thing. His contract included a clause that if he killed and ate any opposing players he would receive a bonus.

I too, must make a comeback. The heat remain my favourite team, but I would barely give them even money to repeat again. The boys are a year older- which for D-Wade is great, but for the other three, not so great.

BUT There are two other teams I have my eye on-

The Chicago Bulls (1995-96, arguably the best team of all time at 72-10) pulled off the coup of the millennium by signing away the rival Detroit Pistons best player Ben "The rebound" Wallace. Because of my hatred for the Pistons (they blow) I was never able to cheer for Big Ben before. The Bulls are no longer so fresh that they can't win big games, and they are just fresh enough to run other teams into the ground- and did I mention that one of the best defenses in the league just signed the leagues' best defensive player? Scoring on the Bulls is going to be tougher than scoring at a papal conclave.

Another former favorite of mine (LJ RIP) - The New York Knicks - may in fact be the worst team in the history of the NBA this year. I honestly think that Dave Checketts lost a bet or something- it is the only logical explanation for why he continues to let Isaiah "EEK not zeke" Thomas run the show. I used to do a bit involving a fictitious re-enactment between two V.P.s of Basketball operations laughing about having Isaiah on their speed dial to get rid of their high priced and underperforming talent. Offer it to Isaiah, he will buy anything.

As an interesting aside - Kobe vs. Lebron. The answer is still Kobe, but not for much longer. For the love of the game I hope that Kobe grows up sooner or later. If he thinks he was supposed to be the "air" apparent, he might try passing. I can't believe Phil Jackson puts up with this guy. For that matter, I can't believe Kobe puts up with Jackson considering he called him a baby in a best-selling book about how Shaq was the man.

One more year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home