INFO-Tain-ment

Monday, August 21, 2006

Academy Award for the best use of the internet...

Al Gore's movie on Climate Change and Energy Use in North America is without a doubt the most important movie that was released this summer. It was only slightly more believable than Snakes on a Plane.

Go see this movie. Unless of course you are an Ophidiophobe or Aviophobic. This movie will just scare you.

I went to this movie expecting absolutely NOTHING except a few bad puns about the airline industry and the much heralded new battle-cry of Samuel L. Jackson. Having taken some time to think about it, I for one want those Mother F***ing snakes in another Mother F***ing movie.

This film is not the Red Balloon. Hell, this film is not Red Sonja. It is the perfect B-movie film. But, I will pronounce with no apprehension what-so-ever that in fifty years, experts will look back at this movie and how it has completely changed the way that the movie industry markets, distributes and even writes movies. This movie had a greater impact on the movie industry than Titanic. Bravo.

Yes it has serious plot holes. Yes it has some bad acting. Yes it actually made up an entirely new genus of snakes. So what- I can be nit-picky about every movie, book, play, short story or tale I have ever been exposed to. This was, to be blunt, "fun in the dark" from the 26 minute mark on. That was when they got onto the plane. For the first 26 minutes, it was just a bad episode of Hawaii 5-0.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't going to win an academy award.

At some point in our lives, we stopped thinking for ourselves and we were told what were were supposed to like. I have had lots of people tell me how *I* am the problem, and as long as I go see tripe, Hollywood will continue to make tripe. Well, maybe your problem is in how you define tripe. The Constant Gardener? That is tripe- here is a tip "GET OUT OF AFRICA YOU JACKASS."

There are a lot of great movies that are premised on plausible and believable things. There are also a lot of bad movies that are premised on plausible and believable things. So what if this movie had an implausible premise. I would like to remind you that Superman came from another planet. The only thing affected by the implausibility is SMJ's credibility as an actor- already in the toilet from the dinosaurs, the super-intelligent sharks, George Lucas on drugs, XXX- I don't know how it will ever recover. I mean seriously, how many super-implausible mega-hits can one career take? Et tu Ishtar?

Fast-forward fifty years, SOAP is going to be seen as the movie that changed the way that Hollywood did business, and it was almost completely by accident. The movie was dead- it was the "I need the movie- what do you want me to do?" movie that SLJ did in a week to kill time until he started his next plausible project. That was until the internet apparently exploded and the buzz generated by this film created a capital reinfusion, a rewrite, a re-cast, a re-booty, and through the magic of "FWD: RE: RE: Snakes on a Plane!!!" had more free advertising than every film except Pamela and Tommy's home movie, also known as "Snake on a boat."

If you don't like snakes, fine. If you don't like predictable movies, fine. If you don't like plots with more holes in it than Sonny Corleone at a toll booth, fine- but don't say it is stupid out of hand. I can honestly say that I enjoyed this film despite its faults, and at the very end I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation of what would happen next. As best as I can tell, the only real measure of success for movies is how much I liked it. I liked this movie a lot more than the ones that I am told to like by everyone. What do they know about me anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home