INFO-Tain-ment

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Tar Baby

I didn't know the EXACT history behind the word tar baby when Peter Pepper (C - 1979) used it - not once, but twice - in the House of Commons. I am pretty clever though, and it painted an image of a black baby. I think it stands to reason a smart person would realize that was a racial epitaph.

However, I don't think the entirety of the blame should fall on Peter Pepper. There are two reasons:

1) He isn't old enough to live in a time of spirited racism where that expression would have common parlance. For John McCain to make the same mistake however (Copyright, AN MP).

2) He obviously didn't write the speech - it was a planted question to be answered by the PS to the PM. As if he winged that. It was probably vetted by Guy Giorno

So, who did write it, and why aren't they getting a lashing? Ooops, I did it now, didn't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home