INFO-Tain-ment

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Canada First, politics last

If I was an American, I would be a dove-protectionist.

I am not an American.

To that end, I should want American politics to be run by hawkish-free traders.

Of course, I don't like the hawkish part so much, until it defends my borders.

The 'stimulus' package that is currently before the U.S. Senate is problematic for countless reasons, but the bottom line is that by excluding all nations from the benefits of stimulating the US economy, they have excluded Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of my tax dollars heading South, East, West or even over the pole to Russia. But I understand how an integrated economy works.

I also understand that US trade is about selling their stuff, not about buying ours.

Sleeping next to an elephant is always hard, unless you also make peanuts (geo-punical, intended.)

I, for one, can't do much to end US protectionism. I can promise, however, not to give them my money. I am going to take a hard look at labels. While understanding that I am not going to make Johnson and Johnson a Canadian Company, I am going to be cognizant that making money for people who don't invest in Canada is a bad idea.

I am going to try to use Canadian products, whatever the cost.

I am going to drink Ontario wine. Gross.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an interesting idea. What would happen to the world economy, if all people started buying goods produced only by their home country? Isn't this exactly what happened between wars or is my memory failing me?
Take care,
Julie

2:10 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home