INFO-Tain-ment

Friday, May 26, 2006

Sleeping Democrats

The finalists for American Idol received more votes then any previous U.S. Presidential candidate. I only wish I was kidding.

Two months of media sightings and an ultra-liberal documentary and speaking tour later, from the ashes comes Al Gore (D- Tennessee) After a failed Presidential bid in 2000, and amidst strong denials that he is seeking higher office, it seems pretty obvious that Micro-management Man is going to pull a Nixon. The key difference of course is that Gore didn’t have an unsuccessful run for Governor in between Presidential bids. When I predicted this the day after the Supreme Court ended the 2000 election, people told me I was crazy.

The funny part is that Gore is seen as the ABC (anybody but Clinton (D – Parachute)) candidate. I don’t think I need to explain how ludicrous this is because a) He still suffers from Clinton fatigue while Bill Clinton (D – Arkansas, NY, My heart) has somehow washed himself clean of it and b) Hillary Rodham is probably the worst candidate the Democrats could have. The parallels between her, Sheila Copps (L – Daddy’s Hamilton) and Canada’s Belidiot (beloved idiot?) (Undecided – Daddy’s Factory) are interesting, and my position for all three is identical- it would be a shame and a loss for feminism if the first elected female chief executive came on someone else’s coat-tails. Rodham (R- Illinois), of course, is appreciably more intelligent then the other two combined. You will note that I differentiate between Hillary Clinton and Hillary Rodham- they are entirely different people. Perhaps Ironicially, Ms. Rodham and Belidiot may have something else in common that not so many people know about.

Don’t get me wrong- I love Hillary Clinton, on paper. I love strong minded liberals who strive for universal healthcare. I love a common sense approach to immigration policy. I love anyone whose closest advisor is the greatest President of this generation.

That said, a Gore candidacy is a good thing for Democrats for a few reasons. First of all, the other aspirants have exactly zero experience running national campaigns. He has been in three. He has a grasp of international affairs and a vision for the role for the US in the world. And the best part- he has a free pass to campaign for the next three years without looking like he is campaigning. Meet Al Gore, filmmaker. In all honesty, he will focus the debate on key democratic values to which he can speak to with more authority then any of his opponents, on either side of the isle.

I look at Gore the same way I look at Iggy (L – Academia), and this is not an endorsement of Iggy, btw. I know that I disagree with a lot of the things he says, but at least I know that he has come to his opinions through a thoughtful and complete study. I have said a million times that I would rather have a genius who I disagree with running the ship then an idiot who says he agrees but probably doesn’t understand.

You know what wouldn’t be the end of the world? Gore-Clinton 2008. By 2016 she would be too old to do any real damage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home