INFO-Tain-ment

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

401

I think it is fitting to dedicate my 401st post to Canada's worst freakin' highway.

I have been up it, down it, flipped over a car on it - and the traffic continues to grow.

And speed.

So, I think there are two key points I would like to make:

1) I really don't like the type of traffic on the 401. It is my personal view that the truck traffic is very dangerous and leads to extremely poor road conditions - winter and summer. Big truck going over paved road equals destruction of said road.

The simple truth is that we have a railway infrastructure, and we should use it - and if it needs to be overhauled - sign me up. These same truckers can now work driving stuff to/from the train station instead of down the 401.

2) Speed Kills. Every time I drive down the highway, I am passed at least once by a maniac who is going 150 plus. He/she deserves to lose their license. Not that I care if Darwin takes this doofus out, but I am afraid of who else will go out with them.

While it is true that most fatalities in Ontario are single car collisions - usually an idiot who is out of control on the 401 is not only going to kill themselves.

at 100 (or even 120) today's vehicles are very easy to control and are very safe. I don't even want to make the environmental point because - to be fair - it is a stupid one. BUT, a car travelling at the speed limit is going to consume less gas than the person who is speeding. Congrats, you have driven so fast as to reach Toronto in time to sit in traffic there. Duh.

Finally - the roads are build to handle a certain speed. This isn't just a contractor laying endless tracks on concrete/pavement. They are designed to handle traffic at a certain speed - engineered that way to make them safe.

Personally, I take the 7 to Toronto because it is just as fast (if you follow the speed limit), a nicer driver and I safe $20 in fuel by driving 90. Plus, I get to stop for actual food as opposed to fast food. Everybody wins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home