INFO-Tain-ment

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

One pole the Government didn't follow

More Brilliance from the Government

1) Why can't they just pay a head tax like everyone else?

2) How will Canada ever win Miss Universe again?

3) I thought the whole point of immigration was to fill holes in the economy efficiently?

4) Under the current laws, the onus is on strip club owners to prove there is a shortage of Canadian dancers each time they apply to bring in a foreign exotic dancer.

Shortage? Can there ever be enough?

5) This is the first time the new government has protected any domestic industry, no matter how undomesticated it is.

Okay, seriously - This is so stupid it is ridiculous. What problem is actually being solved with this policy?

For some time, I have been categorically opposed to the peeler industry. I have made a voluntary decision to not go to these establishments- but never will I judge those who elect to do so. I just don't want to.

There are a lot of reasons, many of them parroted by the government in its policy. The difference, of course is that my views are my own, and don't represent the views of her majesty. I know that there is exploitation occurring, and I just don't see the value in these establishments. Talk to me when I am 50 and lonely - but in the meantime, I know that these women can, at least theoretically, walk off the stage any time they want to - but I also know, that they can't.

The relative virtues of feminism aside, I can make an equally compelling argument on either side of the equation about how these establishments are bad for women. They offer choice and empowerment - but ultimately, they offer a choice to parade as a sexual object.

Aside for the blatant unconstitutionality of this idea on its face, notwithstanding the haphazard precision the government is using for "protecting" these women, and putting aside for a second that a Conservative government is denying the option of choice for individuals - how on earth are they every going to enforce it? God, so I say she is a nanny on the application form. Wow.

That said - instead of shortening hospital wait times, they are increasing the length of wait times for dances by women dressed like a nurse. Priorities people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home