INFO-Tain-ment

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Wait Time, Guaranteed!!!

I am sorry I haven't posted in a while, it was because I was waiting in line to see my doctor. I learned the proper use of the word "ambulatory." Because I was ambulatory, I wasn't a priority.

In the 2005-6 election, the Conservatives promised to deliver on five priorities. The only one which was really important in my view was the wait time guarantee. I don't use health care all that much, but I look at it the same way I look at the fire hall - I don't ever want to have to use it, but when I need it, I want it to work quickly. Suffice it to say that it did not.

So, here is what I propose - I think that when the next federal election happens, ballot boxes should be placed in the emergency rooms of Canada's hospitals. You show up, speak to the nurse, and wait for your turn. I bet after waiting six hours in the middle of the night, not so many people would be voting Tory.

But, this must be Dalton's fault. Ontario is in charge of health care. Maybe, but Dalton didn't promise to cut my wait time and have it grow exponentially under his watch. The best part of constitutional wrangling is watching people pull the pin, toss the grenade, and then go and jump on it to claim responsibility for a file. Stephen promised, and hasn't delivered.

But what have the tories actually delivered on? Well, they cleaned up government - apparently. Even if that is true, I am the type who likes his government predictable and corruptible with relatively small sums of money. Yeah, they cut the GST. Whoopee - more money we can't invest in reducing wait times. Yeah, they ensured we are in a clusterfuck of a conflict for another three years. More patients to pad those wait times.

They claim they are making Canada's streets safer - by making things that are already illegal illegaller. Street Racing, driving under the influence of drugs, or (perish the thought) street racing under the influence of drugs. You might be making it illegaller, but when those idiots crash into a tree, they will have to wait in line at the hospital before they stand trial.

In 'Stand up for Canada' the now-government clearly established its priorities. I am not so naive as to think that a platform becomes policy. I am so naive as to think that I know why health care should remain the only priority. Want to bribe Quebec? Build ten new hospitals that aren't riddled with C-difficile.

But yesterday, the House of Commons was more like a Italian Soccer game. And over what? The Prime Minister thought it would be a good idea to read the news paper to people of Canada. This is what passes for debate in this country. For the first time since Mr. Dion took over, I agreed with every yell, smear, cry, heckle that I heard- a racially driven smear attack against an MP and his family. It is a good thing Ujjal Dosanjh was in the hospital (he had a heart attack last week) because he probably would have had a stroke had he been in the House. As you may know, Mr. Dosanjh was beaten within an inch of his life for opposing Sikh extremists in a very polite and democratic fashion. There are some things you just don't get to say, parliamentary privilege notwithstanding.

Yeah, he is standing up for Canada all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home